I decided that I needed a way to combat the doldrums in which I've found myself lately...I was tired of the same ol' things. I decided that I needed to go on a hike! Not just any hike... I wanted a challenge. All I needed was someone willing to come with me, and who better to ask than my cousin Alan.
So, last Monday, Alan and I decided to try and conquer the Pfeifferhorn, which is in the Wasatch Range near Salt Lake City. Personally, I just thought the name of the mountain was intimidating, and pretty awesome at the same time. It is known as the Little Matterhorn.
I spent Sunday night in Magna, and it was really nice to spend time with my cousin Jen. I need more family time in general, so this was good. The next morning, Alan and I headed up the canyon to undertake our ten mile journey. I saw clouds looming over the mountain tops, but it takes a lot to halt me once I make plans.
The first few miles of the hike were a pretty steady climb, but nothing too hard. We walked up through trees that were changing their colors for the oncoming winter and past little gurgling streams. It wasn't until we reached Red Pine Lake that I could tell things were going to get a little tougher.

Take note of how straight my hair was at the beginning of the hike...
The above picture is Red Pine Lake... the trail from there lead straight up through the trees and then right, straight up the rocky ridge.
And scrambling over these rocks....
If you can't tell from the last picture of me, at this point we started to ascend into the clouds. We climbed to the top of this one ridge and back behind it on a relatively easy path. That is, until we reached the saddle of the Pfiefferhorn.
On the left is a picture of what the last length of the "trail" looks like on a clear day.....but on the right is what it looked like when we chose to climb.
Why, yes, that is a steep drop off on both sides. Maybe the cloud cover made it easier for me to crawl over all of these rocks, because I couldn't see how far it was to fall....
It was also the steepest part of the mountain.
We did, however, finally conquer the mountain! And, I felt great about it!! I have come to realize that I crave a sense of accomplishment in my life to feel like I am progressing, and it certainly makes me happy. Maybe that is why I was such a dedicated A+ student. Maybe that is why I have felt a little lost lately. Well, this hike (actually, I am going to refer to it as more of a CLIMB) gave me the feeling that I needed.
And, don't let the short pants fool you... my legs were fine in regards to the cold. I was just thankful that Alan had an extra rain coat for me, since it started snowing on us at the top.
The upper Red Pine Lakes on our way back down.
Notice how curly the wettness made my hair...and this picture just doesn't do it justice.
Overall, I had a great day, and it was good to get to spend time with my cousin. Growing up, I was always so much younger, that I didn't really get to know my older cousins very well, and it's nice to remedy some of that.
2 comments:
I'm so happy you were able to spend the night with me :) I had so much fun chatting and catching up. I'm glad you and Alan had a good time hiking together. Way to go you! I'm so scared of heights but it's good to challenge yourself. I want to eventually do this hike as well. But I think I'll aim for summer ;)
Wow - what fun - Loved the pictures - and Alan is so much fun to hike with - I wish he would go with me more often!!!!
I LOVE the picture on the top of your blog :)
Post a Comment